As you can see, this small VFD has failed. Quite spectacularly too! This small unit had not been properly maintained. It had a blocked and failed cooling fan plus a loose power lead. This caused the unit and terminal to overheat and fail. To compound the issue, the unit was not fused which allowed the unit to actually catch fire. The breaker did not open until two of the power leads came together causing a direct short circuit.
A low cost P.M. (preventive maintenance) service would have discovered the blocked and failed fan and the loose connection. Thus preventing this unit from premature failure. Adding fuses to protect the unit would have been recommended as well.